Elections to Comply with State Laws
General and special municipal elections, held in the city, shall be conducted in a manner pursuant to the provisions of Section 11-46-1, Code of Alabama 1975.
Qualifications of Candidates
Review the qualifications candidates must meet:
- The clerk opens receipt of statements of candidacy at 8 am on the first Tuesday in July preceding the election.
- In filing their statements of candidacy, the candidates certify that they are fully qualified to hold the respective offices for which they are candidates if elected thereto. Section 11-43-1, Code of Alabama 1975 provides that every mayor, councilmember and officer elected by the whole electorate of the city shall be a resident and qualified elector of the city and shall reside within the limits of the city during the term of office.
- Council Members are required to reside, during their terms of office, within the limits of the wards/districts from which they were elected.
- All candidates must have been residents of the municipality for at least 90 days prior to the election. Section 11-46-25, Code of Alabama 1975.
- Candidates for election from wards must have been a resident of the ward they seek to serve for at least 90 days prior to the election. Section 11-43-63, Code of Alabama 1975.
- The qualification fee for all candidates seeking election as mayor or council members shall be $50.
- The official ballot shall not contain the name of any candidate who has not paid the qualifying fee, as herein provided.
- The clerk closes out receipt of statements of candidacy at 5 pm on the third Tuesday in July preceding the election. This is the final day on which a candidate may qualify to run in the general municipal election in mayor-council cities and towns. Section 11-46-25, Code of Alabama 1975.
Where to Vote
- Voting Place: Malcolm McNab Reeves Recreation Complex (Community Center)
14 Community Drive
- Voting Place: Sanford Street Gym
420 Sanford Street
- Voting Place: McCoo Complex
- Voting Place: Eufaula Water Works and Sewer Board
840 W Washington Street
- Voting Place: Bevill Center - Wallace College Campus
3223 South Eufaula Avenue
Register to Vote
For more information, please contact the Barbour County Board of Registrars at 334-687-1585.